Oral B 1000 vs 1500 Oral B Smart [Which is Better]
Wondering which entry-level Oral B electric toothbrush is best? You are not alone!
As an experienced and busy family dentist, I get asked all the time “Which Oral B Toothbrush should I get!”
In this review, the Pro 1000 and Smart 1500 go head-to-head, and this was our verdict:
Recommended Choice: Oral B Smart 1500
2nd Choice: Oral-B Pro 1000
The two power toothbrushes do an excellent job cleaning the teeth, and you would be forgiven to get both for your dental needs.
However, the Oral-B Smart 1500 is noticeably the superior brush. The Smart 1500 is an upgrade on the Pro 1500, which still edges the Pro 1000. But that isn’t to say the Pro 1000 is a lousy toothbrush.
Oral-B Pro 1000 vs. Smart 1500 Differences
- Slight difference in the design and grip levels
- The Smart 1500 has a lesser grip with a smaller rubber panel compared to the Pro 1000.
- The Pro 1000 has raised ridges, while the Smart 1500 has tiny indentations to the back of the handle.
- The Smart 1500 has more color options, including jet black, light rose, and navy, but the Pro 1000 only comes in white and black.
- The Pro 1000 has one cleaning mode (daily clean), while the Smart 1500 has three cleaning modes, including daily clean, sensitive, and whitening.
- The Smart 1500 has a more robust engine with 8800 oscillations and 40,000 pulsations per minute. The Pro 1000 has equal oscillations but half the pulsation at 20,000.
- The Pro 1000 has a nonvisible pressure sensor; however, the Smart 1500 pressure sensor is visible 360 degrees.
- Clinically proven superior 3D cleaning oscillates and pulsates to break up and remove up to 300 percentage more plaque along the gum line than a regular manual toothbrush
- The pressure sensor stops the pulsation movement if you brush too hard and the in handle timer helps you brush for a dentist recommended 2 minutes
- 1 Mode, Daily Clean, rotates to break up and sweep away plaque
- Included in pack: 1 Oral B Professional Handle, 1 CrossAction Brush head and 1 charger
- Compatible with the following replacement toothbrush heads: CrossAction, 3D White, Sensitive Clean, Precision Clean, FlossAction, Deep Sweep, Ortho and Dual Clean
Battery Type and Life
- The Pro 1000 comes with a rechargeable Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) compared to the Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) battery in the Smart 1500.
- The Pro 1000 lasts seven days but the Smart 1500 brushes for longer at 14+ days.
Note: we go the extra mile to ensure the accuracy of the features listed. However, products are subject to change without notice.
Both power toothbrushes are identical in more ways than they are different. That said, the Smart 1500 is the more superior product.
The first thing that catches the eye is the similarity in design, with both toothbrushes having the typical rounded body and detachable head. Both brushes are thick and easy to hold, but the Pro-1000 has a better grip with a large rubber that goes all the way to the brush handle. The Smart 1500 and Pro 1000 sport the CrossAction brush head, and both products are compatible with other brush head designs, including 3D White, Precision Clean, Floss Action, and many more.
While the two brushes have pressure sensors, they operate in different ways. The Smart 1500 has a circular pressure sensor that is visible no matter how you grip the handle. The Oral-B Pro 1000 has a pressure sensor but without visual cues. The sensor alerts through the handle causing the motor to slow down.
I think the most significant difference between both products is the cleaning mode. The Pro 1000 only has daily clean, while the Smart 1500 has daily clean, sensitive, and whitening making it the more flexible choice and offering you more ways to clean your teeth.
Daily clean comes standard with most Oral-B toothbrushes. The sensitive mode is suited for gums that easily bleed, while the whitening mode aims to make the teeth whiter by removing more surface stains.
The Oral-B Smart 1500 edges out the Pro 1000 in the performance department with a slightly more robust motor. While both toothbrushes offer equal oscillation at 8800, the Smart 1500 is capable of 40,000 pulsations which is double the capacity of the Pro 1000 at 20,000 pulsations.
The Smart 1500 is hands down the more powerful toothbrush offering more options to people with different dental hygiene needs.
The Smart 1500 comes out on top again with a battery that lasts 14 days compared to the 7-day battery capacity of the Pro 1000. While the lithium-ion battery in the Smart 1500 isn’t technically better than the Nickel Metal Hydride in the Pro 1000, it has a longer life cycle meaning you can use the Smart 1500 for longer. The amount of battery power the Smart 1500 holds on a single charge makes it the ideal choice for frequent travelers. Nonetheless, both toothbrushes have power indicators at the handle bottom to let you know when to recharge.
- Removes 500% more plaque vs a regular manual toothbrush
- 3D Cleaning Action oscillates, rotates, and pulsates to break up and remove plaque
- 360-degree Visible Pressure Sensor stops pulsation movements when you brush too hard, helping protect your gums
- Compatible with Oral-B brush heads for every oral care need: CrossAction, FlossAction, Precision Clean, 3D White, Sensitive Gum Care, Deep Sweep, Dual Clean. Does not fit iO brush heads
- Oral-B is the #1 dentist-recommended toothbrush brand worldwide
Which Cleans Better?
It is difficult to say which toothbrush does the better job. However, the Oral-B Smart 1500 has a stronger motor which may mean that it cleans the teeth more effectively than the Pro 1000.
Which is Cheaper?
At face value, the Pro 1000 seems to be the cheaper toothbrush while the Smart 1500 retails higher That said, the Smart 1500 will provide you with better value for your money. The small price difference is a minimal price for the additional features and longer-lasting battery life. I’d save up the extra dollars and go for the Smart 1500 than settle for the less expensive Pro 1000.
The Oral-B Pro 1000 is an excellent toothbrush in its range but comes up short against the Smart 1500. The latter is the more versatile toothbrush with visible pressure sensors, additional cleaning modes, a more powerful motor, and better battery life.
The Smart 1500 performs excellently well for its price, has more features, and is far more efficient at removing plaque and bacterial build-up with the whitening mode.
We highly recommend the Smart 1500 over the Pro 1000.
Does Oral B Pro 1000 have Different Cleaning Modes?
No, it doesn’t. It only has a single mode which is the default daily clean.
What is the difference between the Smart 1500 and Pro 1000?
The Smart 1500 has a better battery, more potent motor, and additional cleaning modes than the Pro 1000.
How Can I Choose an Oral-B Toothbrush?
The most critical factor when it comes to choosing an Oral-B toothbrush is likability. The best toothbrush for your dental hygiene is the one you’re likely to use. People who like their toothbrushes are likely to brush more frequently and for longer.
Whether you go for the Smart 1500 or Pro 1000, keep in mind that with an Oral-B electric toothbrush, a light touch is all you need. Move slowly while making sure you brush your gums and teeth.
The Oral-B Smart 1500 is the superior toothbrush, but there isn’t enough evidence to conclude it cleans better than the Pro 1000. More important than the brush type is your brushing technique and how often you brush your teeth.