I’m a busy family dentist – and when I need a new electric toothbrush, I often go for one from Oral-B. The Smart line has phased out the Pro models as they feature a more powerful lithium-ion battery. Also, Smart toothbrushes have stronger motors.
Two popular Oral-B toothbrushes are the Smart 1500 and the Smart 3000. Both of these electric toothbrushes provide excellent performance and value, helping you to keep your teeth healthy and clean.
Keep reading this Oral-B 1500 vs. 3000 review to learn more about how these products compare.
There are a few main differences between the Oral-B Smart 1500 and Smart 300. These include:
- Motors: For each minute running, the 3000 delivers 9,900 oscillations and 45,000 pulsations, while the 1500 gives 8,800 oscillations and 40,000 pulsations.
- Bluetooth: The 3000 has Bluetooth connectivity.
- Cleaning Modes: The 1500 has two cleaning modes, and the 3000 has three.
- Design: The 1500 has a smaller rubber grip than the 3000, and it has a dimpled texture rather than raised.
- Colors: The 3000 comes in black and white, while the 1500 has white, navy, pink, and black options.
- Pressure Sensor: The 1500’s pressure sensor has 360-degree visibility. The 3000’s sensor is only on the back of the handle.
- Brush Heads: You’ll find a CrossAction brush head on both toothbrushes, but the 3000 also has a 3D White head.
Oral-B Smart 1500
The Oral-B Smart 1500 provides 3D cleaning. It rotates, oscillates, and pulsates to leave teeth 500% cleaner than a manual toothbrush.
- REMOVE UP TO 100% MORE PLAQUE even in hard-to-reach areas for HEALTHIER GUMS* with Oral-B's deep-cleaning 3in1 technology *vs a manual brush
- PROTECT YOUR GUMS with special sensitive cleaning mode and 360_ VISIBLE GUM PRESSURE CONTROL that lights up when brushing too hard
- MAXIMIZE CLEANING performance with 4 EASY-TO-USE CLEANING MODES + handle-integrated quadrant timer that alerts you every 30sec to change brushing zone
- PERSONALIZE & LEVEL-UP YOUR CLEAN with Oral-B BRUSH HEADS AVAILABLE* for YOUR individual needs: e.g., deep clean, gentle clean, whitening *for purchase
- Oral-B ROUND brush heads REACH WHERE RECTANGULAR manual brushes DON'T. Experience a better clean from the #1 brand most used by dentists worldwide
When you get the 1500, it will arrive in a box with a manual, charging stand, brush head, and toothbrush. The toothbrush has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that provides about two weeks of battery life.
This toothbrush has two primary cleaning modes: Daily Clean and Sensitive. Daily Clean is the standard mode, but you can switch to Sensitive if you have sensitive gums. It also has a 360-degree pressure sensor that detects when you’re brushing too hard.
It comes with a CrossAction brush head that can effectively clean your teeth. The bristles are at a 16-degree angle to clean hard-to-reach places. If you want to switch brush heads, this toothbrush is compatible with other Oral-B products.
This product has one power button that you press to switch between modes. Pressing it once turns it on, twice switches to Daily Clean, three times for Sensitive, and the fourth turns it off. You can also press and hold the button for a few seconds to turn it off.
The toothbrush has a built-in timer to pace you between brushing different areas of your mouth. You clean the lower right, lower left, upper right, and upper left in 30-second intervals.
Despite the name “Smart,” this toothbrush does not have smart features. Also, the rubber gripping is only around the power button, which may be uncomfortable for some users. You also might not like the dimpled texture.
Oral-B Smart 3000
- Whitens by removing surface stains starting day 1
- Oral-B's Bluetooth technology connects to your electric toothbrush to the Oral-B App for personalized brushing routines and daily monitoring
- In-handle brushing timer pulses every 30 seconds to let you know when to switch areas of the your mouth
- 3 Mode Toothbrush Handle: (1) Daily Clean Plus visible Pressure Sensor lights up to indicate when brushing too hard. (2) Gum Care Mode massage mode(3) Sensitive Mode for a gentle routine
- Compatible with Oral-B Brush Heads for every Oral Care need: CrossAction, FlossAction, Precision Clean, 3D White, Sensitive Gum Care, Deep Sweep, Dual Clean
The Oral-B Smart 3000 builds upon the Smart 1500 and Pro 3000 with additional features. For instance, this one has smart features. You can connect the toothbrush to the Oral-B app using Bluetooth connectivity for custom brushing routines.
The app displays an on-screen timer and alert system that complements the one on the brush itself. It saves brushing data, including time, length, and pressure. You can track your use of mouthwash, floss, and tongue brushing as well.
If you forget to use the app, the brush handle will store your brushing data for about 20 seconds and automatically sync when in range. Visual learners will like the Oral-B app because it provides data visualizations to guide you on how to improve your oral hygiene routine.
Also, it has three modes instead of two. You can choose the Daily Clean Plus, which has a light-up pressure sensor for when you brush too hard. The Gum Care Mode lets you massage your gums, and Sensitive works well for gentle brushing.
Furthermore, the Smart 3000 comes with either the CrossAction or 3D White brush head, depending on where you buy it. As with the 1500, all Oral-B heads are compatible with it.
The 3000 has a brush head storage compartment on the charging stand that lets you hold up to four brush heads. This accessory is useful if you share the handle with somebody or prefer to change up your brushing routine.
Also, the Smart 3000 provides more oscillations and pulsations than the 1500 (9,900 and 45,000 vs. 8,800 and 40,000). This feature improves the cleaning power of the toothbrush because it can remove more plaque. However, the amount of movement depends on the brushing mode chosen.
The casing on the Smart 3000 has a larger rubber gripping that wraps around the handle. It also has a bumpy texture.
Oral-B 1500 vs. 3000
I’m not someone who cares too much about how a toothbrush feels in my hand or how it looks. I want it to be affordable and good at cleaning.
The Oral-B Smart 1500 is sold at a lower price point than the 3000 because it has fewer deluxe features. However, the features it misses aren’t that necessary.
For example, the difference in motor power gives the Oral-B Smart 3000 an edge over the cleaning capabilities. Nevertheless, you probably won’t notice it that much during use, and you can readily reach all corners of your mouth.
Also, Bluetooth connectivity is largely unneeded. You shouldn’t need your phone to brush your teeth. It can help if you have trouble remembering to brush your teeth or want to see how your hygienic routines are impacting your oral health.
Regardless, the toothbrush has a built-in timer and pressure sensor that reminds you to improve your brushing techniques already. The app serves as an additional reminder.
Another feature you might consider buying the 3000 for is the third cleaning mode. If you have issues with your gums that require regular massaging, perhaps you would benefit from this toothbrush more than the 1500.
Overall, the Oral-B Smart 3000 will do a better job at cleaning your teeth. However, the difference between it and the Smart 1500 is relatively marginal, so you might be better off saving money on the lower-cost one.
Apart from the aesthetics and hand-feel, the critical differences between the Oral-B Smart 1500 and 3000 are:
- Bluetooth connectivity
- More powerful motor
- An additional cleaning mode
If you believe that these features will make a drastic difference in your life, go ahead and buy the 3000. However, you might as well get the cheaper 1500 for everyday brushing and save a few bucks.