A wisdom tooth is the tooth most towards the back of the mouth. Wisdom teeth typically appear between the ages of 17-24. There is not always enough space for wisdom teeth. Often people experience pain, discomfort or infection from wisdom teeth. But how many wisdom teeth do we have?
How Many Wisdom Teeth Is Normal?
People often as how many wisdom teeth should they expect? Most adults have four wisdom teeth; one in each corner. Some adults however have fewer wisdom teeth – and some have extra! If someone has extra wisdom teeth these are called supernumerary teeth.
Answer: Four total, one in each corner of the mouth. (But some people have less or none, some have more.)
How many wisdom teeth is the maximum?
The average adult has four wisdom teeth – and some have fewer. But in a few cases, people have extra (supernumerary) wisdom teeth. Personally I have seen up to double wisdom teeth in some patients. That’s a total of eight wisdom teeth! There are some extreme cases where people have even more. These are very rare though – and most adults know how many wisdom teeth they have – four.
Remember not all wisdom teeth need to be extracted – nature does not often give us pointless body features! There are however many factors of modern life that are leading to impaction, infection, and pain. These mean many people require wisdom tooth removal. Your best bet if you are wondering is to make a dental appointment and ask your dentist.
- What Is The Best Whitening Toothpaste? - December 1, 2017
- Brief Dental Implant History Infographic - August 25, 2017
- What Is A Dental Bridge? - July 8, 2017
- Why Do We Have Wisdom Teeth? - July 1, 2017
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - June 25, 2017
- Why do I have a smelly tooth? How can I fix stop it smelling? - May 1, 2017
- Does Invisalign hurt? Do invisible braces hurt like normal braces? - March 12, 2017
- Six Best Celebrity Teeth Before and After Dental Makeovers - March 5, 2017
- Can You Straighten Teeth Without Braces? - February 19, 2017
- Best Valentine’s Day Teeth Images for Social Media - February 14, 2017