Six Things To Do If You Have Bad Breath
Woken up with bad breath? Got some anonymous feedback from a coworker or family member? Wondering why you can’t score a second date? Time to fix your stinky breath!
A 2012 study showed that a majority of young people aged 18-34 had backed out an “intimate moment” because the other person had bad breath! (source) They said they could overlook almost all traits like dressing poorly or sweaty palms – but stinky bad breath was a dealbreaker.
There are many things that cause cause bad breath (also known as halitosis). The most common causes are dental in origin. You can see all the 6 most common causes of bad breath here!
So if you do have breath, here are six specific things you can do to improve it!
- Rinse your mouth out
- Bad breath is often caused by bacteria in the mouth. Swish some mouth rinse to blast them and enjoy the minty taste at the same time!
- It’s the simplest solution to give you short and help with long term bad breath control
- If you don’t like/can’t stand the taste of mouth rinse – even just swishing with water after eating has been reported to improve bad breath
- Improve your oral hygiene AKA brush twice per day properly and floss in between your teeth
- Brush twice per day – it is a life sentence. Soft toothbrush, toothpaste, two minutes. A simple recipe.
- Some people find better results with an electric toothbrush
- Put the whitening toothpaste aside if you have bad breath problems – just use boring regular paste
- Clean that tongue!
- Odour is worst on the tongue for many people. Clean it every day!
- The easiest way is to use a manual toothbrush when you brush your teeth spend ten seconds gently cleaning the tongue with the bristles
- A tongue scraper is an awesome cheap tool that many people find helps them greatly
- Put the cigarettes aside
- Much of the bad smell from smoking comes from the cigarettes itself – some people say e-cigarettes give them less odour issues
- Quit smoking or reduce it before events that you are worried about the smell
- The odour of smoking is also inhaled and sticks around in the lungs – so masking the breath helps but there will always be some odour
- Chew gum
- Bad breath? Sugar free chewing gum should be your best friend.
- Low saliva flow or dry mouth? Sugar free chewing gum should be your best friend.
- Gum is MUCH better than mints or sprays at giving you long term freshness
- Avoid stinky foods (garlic, onion)
- Brush all you want, after you go to town on a garlic rich meal – the smell will stick around. Avoid heavily scented foods before important events when you are worried about the smell of your breath.
Questions or comments about what you do? Comment below!
- Bad Breath After Wisdom Tooth Extraction - April 5, 2019
- Salt Water Mouthwash How To Make and Benefits - November 19, 2018
- How Many Wisdom Teeth Do People Have? - November 16, 2018
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - September 30, 2018
- Parents Try Out This Elmo Brushing Teeth Song - September 23, 2018
- Top 21 Funniest Wisdom Teeth Memes - September 22, 2018
- 6 Natural Cures For Bad Breath - September 18, 2018
- Do I need To Keep Invisalign Trays Once They Are Done? - September 18, 2018
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction Video - August 13, 2018
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018