As a dentist I get quite a few questions about the benefits of rinsing with a salt water mouthwash. I routinely recommend a salt water mouth rinse after a few different kinds of dental treatment.
The simple salt water mouthwash (or ‘saline’ mouth rinse) can help following an extraction, surgery to the gums or tongue, or when something has broken in the mouth and is trapping food or is sharp.
How should you make salt water mouthwash?
Here is the best (and easiest) way to make salt water rinse
Step 1 Mix 1 teaspoon (5grams) of salt into 1 cup (250mL) of warm water
Step 2 Gently rinse as discussed with your dentist or doctor!
- You don’t want to make it too salty – nothing is gained by making it saltier!
- If it tastes like the ocean or makes you feel sick – check your recipe!
- If the salt is not dissolving, make sure you are using warm water and have added the right amount
If you are rinsing with salt water for any of the above reasons, make sure you have had a chat with a dentist or general doctor and are receiving ongoing advice!
I live near the ocean – can’t I just be natural and use sea water?
The beauty of salt water mouthwash is that it is quite simple to make and helps promote healing while also being relatively sterile. Ocean water on the other hand…
As far as the human body is concerned, sea water is dirty. Keep it away from open wounds in the mouth. It is not worth deliberately exposing yourself to it.
Any other questions about rinsing with salt water mouthwash? You can buy premixed saline but good old boring table salt and tap water tend to do the trick.
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - June 25, 2017
- Why do I have a smelly tooth? How can I fix stop it smelling? - May 1, 2017
- Does Invisalign hurt? Do invisible braces hurt like normal braces? - March 12, 2017
- Six Best Celebrity Teeth Before and After Dental Makeovers - March 5, 2017
- Can You Straighten Teeth Without Braces? - February 19, 2017
- Best Valentine’s Day Teeth Images for Social Media - February 14, 2017
- How Many Wisdom Teeth Do People Have? - February 12, 2017
- I made a Tooth Crush Game App for iPhone and Android! - February 3, 2017
- Do I need To Keep Invisalign Trays Once They Are Done? - January 11, 2017
- A New Year Resolution To Make You Healthy, Happy, Attractive and SAVE MONEY? - January 1, 2017