Radiation of all kinds can cause damage to the body’s tissues and cells, and can lead to the development of abnormal cell development or cancer. People often wonder are dental x-rays safe. However the dose of radiation required for dental x-rays is extremely small. This is fantastic news as it is certainly sensible to keep our exposure to x-ray radiation ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Possible).
We are exposed to daily radiation from the sun, from appliances we use daily, from minerals in soil and even in food. Advances in technology have allowed modern dentistry to lead to the extremely low radiation levels used today.
Are Dental X-rays Safe?
Check out this chart showing comparable exposures of radiation and explained how safe dental x-rays are.
That’s right, even eating a banana contributes to radiation exposure!
The website Dear Doctor offers more information about dental x-rays and provides another comparison chart for consideration. See the chart below
Ultimately the radiation from Dental x-rays is minimal due to advances in modern technology. In addition the hard nature of the tissues being examined also allows for lower dosages to be used.
Remember to keep your exposure levels as low as reasonably possible (ALARP) but if you do need some preventative or informative x-ray films, the dose required is minimal compared to daily exposure.
Dental X-ray Safety Conclusion
Dental x-rays are very safe, and provide amazing information to help prevent and treat dental disease. There have been significant advances in dental technology allowing already low doses to be reduced even further. You should feel safe undertaking dental x-rays. Of course if you have an concerns just ask your friendly dentist!
- Parents Try Out This Elmo Brushing Teeth Song - September 23, 2018
- Top 21 Funniest Wisdom Teeth Memes - September 22, 2018
- 6 Natural Cures For Bad Breath - September 18, 2018
- Do I need To Keep Invisalign Trays Once They Are Done? - September 18, 2018
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction Video - August 13, 2018
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018
- What To Do If You Have Bad Breath - April 12, 2018
- How Much Sugar In Drinks Infographics - March 12, 2018
- The Top 3 Ways To Stop Tooth Decay In Kids - February 12, 2018
- The Top 6 Causes of Bad Breath - January 12, 2018