Having stinky breath is pretty terrible. Everyone will suffer from it at some point in their life. For some people though, the problem is chronic – they have it all the time! For these people it is very important to figure out the causes of bad breath.
In fact a group calling themselves the Bad Breath Institute claims that 35-45% of people suffer from chronic bad breath ! (source)
Having bad breath can impact badly on your life. It effects others around you, at work and at home. In particular people worry about bad breath when dating!
So What Are the Top 6 Causes of Bad Breath?
Bad breath (also known as halitosis) has the following major causes.
- Dental Causes of Bad breath
- Gum disease – gum recession pocketing trapping plenty of batters
- Decay – holes in teeth causing odour as they rot
- Poor oral hygiene – allowing huge amounts of bacteria to form stinky colonies (plaque)
- Smoking tobacco or marijuana use
- Traditional cigarettes and pipe smoking can bad breath
- Even the use of e-cigarettes, vaping and bongs can give rise to bad breath
- Dry mouth – lack of saliva is a very common cause of bad breath
- Caused by medical condition, stress, alcohol or medicines
- Taking multiple medicines often increases the likelihood of bad breath
- Acid reflux (also known as heartburn)
- Acid reflux causing bad breath can be worse at night times
- Post nasal discharge – due to illness or chronic in inflammation.
- This is a common cause of bad breath for people who have chronic sinusitis.
- Food is an extremely common cause of bad breath – but typically these are the easiest to manage.
- Garlic is the most famous odour food that causes bad breath
- Onions and tunafish are also famous for their bad breath odours
- Easiest to remedy – brush your teeth!
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018
- What To Do If You Have Bad Breath - April 12, 2018
- How Much Sugar In Drinks Infographics - March 12, 2018
- The Top 3 Ways To Stop Tooth Decay In Kids - February 12, 2018
- The Top 6 Causes of Bad Breath - January 12, 2018
- What Is The Best Whitening Toothpaste? - December 1, 2017
- Brief Dental Implant History Infographic - August 25, 2017
- What Is A Dental Bridge? - July 8, 2017
- Why Do We Have Wisdom Teeth? - July 1, 2017
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - June 25, 2017