Not having enough saliva and the constant feeling of dry mouth can be very frustrating. Fixing dry mouth is not always easy to do. Read this guide to find out a little more about the causes of dry mouth, and how you can go about fixing dry mouth.
Guide to Fixing Dry Mouth
Saliva plays an important role in keeping mouths healthy and helping to digest food. Saliva also plays an important role in speech.
In the absence of saliva, a mouth can be extremely dry and become uncomfortable. When this happens there can be issues with damage to soft tissues or the spread of bacteria and fungi.
If dry mouth (also known once diagnosed as xerostomia) is experienced, it is important to attempt to discover the cause of the condition by discussing it with a quality dentist and general doctor. After that, there are many small steps that can be taken to help treat the symptoms of dry mouth.
Possible Causes of Dry Mouth
- Drugs and medications
- Infections of certain types
- Salivary duct obstructions
- Sjogren’s syndrome
- Other systemic diseases (e.g. AIDS, cerebral palsy, diabetes, Parkinson’s)
- Chemotherapy or radiotherapy
- Chronic mouth breathing
- Other causes (e.g. pregnancy, menopause, or many other causes)
Improving and Fixing Dry Mouth
After discussing the cause of dry mouth with a Dentist or Doctor, a patient could consider the following symptomatic treatments.
- Chew sugar free chewing gum – to stimulate the flow of saliva
- Ensure adequate hydration – sip water regularly
- Stop using tobacco – a signinficant cause of dry mouth
- Try to ensure nose breathing where possible – minimise mouth breathing
- Consider mouth rinse designed for dry mouth – and avoid mouthwashes containing alcohol as these may further dry the mouth or increase symptoms
- Avoid cold and flu or hayfever medications (antihistamines and decongestants) as these can increase symptoms
- Try a saliva substitute from a pharmacy – use in moderation
A patient should always remember to investigate the cause of dry mouth with their Dentist to treat the underlying cause – that is the best way to go about fixing dry mouth!
- Salt Water Mouthwash How To Make and Benefits - November 19, 2018
- How Many Wisdom Teeth Do People Have? - November 16, 2018
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - September 30, 2018
- Parents Try Out This Elmo Brushing Teeth Song - September 23, 2018
- Top 21 Funniest Wisdom Teeth Memes - September 22, 2018
- 6 Natural Cures For Bad Breath - September 18, 2018
- Do I need To Keep Invisalign Trays Once They Are Done? - September 18, 2018
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction Video - August 13, 2018
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018
- What To Do If You Have Bad Breath - April 12, 2018