Something that I get asked surprisingly often is “How many teeth do adults have?” Many kids can tell me straight away how many teeth are in their mouth – but the average adult seems to not be sure. It comes up surprisingly often at trivia nights – so is definitely useful to know.
The average adult human will have 32 teeth total. This includes four wisdom teeth (“Third molars”). Although less teeth than the average Tyrannosaur, 32 teeth is still plenty.
Some people will be born with fewer teeth.Most commonly the wisdom teeth, premolars, and lateral incisors can be missing. A few people are born with more than 32 teeth (extra teeth) but this is rare.
The average adult will have 8 incisors, 4 canines, 8 premolars, and 12 molars (4 of which are wisdom teeth). Typically an adult will have all of their teeth by the end of their teenage years. The teeth are evenly split between upper and lower, and evenly split left to right.
The simple answer: 32 teeth total (28 excluding wisdom teeth).
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018
- What To Do If You Have Bad Breath - April 12, 2018
- How Much Sugar In Drinks Infographics - March 12, 2018
- The Top 3 Ways To Stop Tooth Decay In Kids - February 12, 2018
- The Top 6 Causes of Bad Breath - January 12, 2018
- What Is The Best Whitening Toothpaste? - December 1, 2017
- Brief Dental Implant History Infographic - August 25, 2017
- What Is A Dental Bridge? - July 8, 2017
- Why Do We Have Wisdom Teeth? - July 1, 2017
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - June 25, 2017