I was asked today – “Doc, is chewing gum good for teeth?”
Chewing gum is good for you 🙂
Chewing sugar-free chewing gum can definitely be good for teeth. It can promote protective saliva to cover the teeth. It can reduce harmful acids from eating and drinking and even help clear food from the mouth after eating! So if you don’t have enough time to brush, grabbing a stick of chewing gum is ideal.
Even better news is that the most popular brands are sugar free, and they will say so on the packet. There are heaps of different flavours (not just boring mint) and you will be surprised at how sweet and long-lasting modern sugar free chewing gum can be!
Another reason that chewing gum is good for you is that it helps battle against bad breath and dry mouth.
There are even some special chewing gums (popular in Japan) that can help strengthen and protect teeth – though they are not available in all countries. You should ask at your dental practice next time you visit to see what is available! An example of a brand that is available sometimes outside of Japan is Recaldent.
My favourite flavour (after boring spearmint) is watermelon Recaldent. What flavours do you like?
- Bad Breath After Wisdom Tooth Extraction - April 5, 2019
- Salt Water Mouthwash How To Make and Benefits - November 19, 2018
- How Many Wisdom Teeth Do People Have? - November 16, 2018
- When does Invisalign stop hurting? - September 30, 2018
- Parents Try Out This Elmo Brushing Teeth Song - September 23, 2018
- Top 21 Funniest Wisdom Teeth Memes - September 22, 2018
- 6 Natural Cures For Bad Breath - September 18, 2018
- Do I need To Keep Invisalign Trays Once They Are Done? - September 18, 2018
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction Video - August 13, 2018
- Video Showing How White Fillings Are Done - April 20, 2018